How to Navigate SDW 2022 Like a Pro
Three pillars, more than 50 events by 200 creatives … this September, get ready to experience another side of Singapore design that you’ve never seen before with Singapore Design Week (SDW) 2022.
Over 10 days, Singapore will demonstrate its unique brand of creativity in the face of real-world challenges as it flexes as a connector between the East and West, and a hub for Southeast Asia creatives.
Sounds grand? Here’s what you need to know to make sure you’re getting the fullest experience of SDW 2022.
1. Memorise Design Futures, Design Impact and Design Marketplace
These are the 3 pillars that underpin the new vision of SDW. Each of these pillar are running key events, starting with the Design Futures Symposium curated by the inimitable Paola Antonelli. Then explore the cornerstone event of Design Marketplace at FIND – Design Fair Asia where you’ll discover the latest in furniture, interior trends and check out the immense design talent of Southeast Asia at EMERGE @ FIND, curated by Suzy Annetta of Design Anthology. Finally, get up close with outstanding examples of life-changing and inspiring design in Singapore through the Design Impact pillar that focuses on real-life solutions to overcome 21st century issues such as sustainability, mental health and our ageing society through the President*s Design Award (P*DA) Tours and Good Design Research Pop-up Exhibition.
2. Park yourself at National Design Centre (NDC)
NDC is the epicentre of Singapore Design Week. Take in the gamut of events listed on our festival guide wall at tunnel entrance of NDC before entering a space transformed. Potato Head takes over NDC to showcase the zero-waste lifestyle through a multimedia exhibit that spans across design, art, architecture, music, food and fashion. Titled N*thing is Possible, you’ll get to see installations by Kengo Kuma and cult artist Futura, attend workshops with Andreu Carulla and have a taste of the Potato Head’s vegan restaurant Tanaman through a dish collaboration with NDC’s in-house café Tanuki Raw. This is also your chance to have experience Potato Head’s famed Circle Store as there’s a mini pop-up version in the showcase with a small collection of items for sale. Lastly, don’t miss stairwells of NDC too as each level will feature a Potato Head surprise!
Besides this blockbuster showcase, there are smaller gems in NDC. Start from Level 5, where Studio Juju will present its label New Optimistic Works, exploring manufacturing and craft in Singapore through its project Case Studies: Design & Made in Singapore. Spend time at Level 2 where you’ll see Woven Network by textile artist Tiffany Loy and SUBSTANCE – Italian Green Design Innovation, alongside Class Acts, a nostalgic trip down the creative scene in Singapore in the 1990s and 2000s. Here’s a tip for the ladies: wear your best flats as there’s plenty of ground to cover!
3. Use the SDW2022 AR filter at our best spots
What’s the most effective way to say been there, done that? With a wefie or a selfie of course. Download the SDW2022 AR filter, complete with our signature confetti. Now that you’re armed with our filter, head for the most photogenic SDW spots:
- Lookout Tower at Re-Route, a story-telling meets place-making festival set in Little India by Plus Collaboratives.
- The P*DA Tours. These tours by Monster Day Tours and Tribe Tours will bring you into the heart of some architecturally striking structures such as Enabling Village, Skyville at Dawson and Pinnacle @ Duxton, which all received the President*Design Award.
- #Fashtag. There’s no better place to strike a pose than at #Fashtag at Raffles City Singapore where fashion veteran and creative director Daniel Boey pushes the boundaries of fashion while embracing its complexity and diversity through his exhibitions and runway shows. Don’t forget to snap a wefie with Singapore’s top supermodel from the 1980s Pat Kraal!